What could be better than homemade Tiramisu for Valentine’s Day (or any other day)? Tiramisu is a dessert that always leaves a good impression and is not that difficult to make.
- 6 Egg yolks
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Pound of Mascarpone cheese
- 1 ½ Cups of solid espresso, allowed to cool, and separated
- 2 Teaspoons of dark rum
- 24 Package ladyfinger cookies
- Chocolate for Garnish
- Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, in a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Add mascarpone cheese and continue beating until smooth. Add one tablespoon of espresso and continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining espresso and rum. Pour into a small shallow dish. Dip each ladyfinger individually into the mixture and allow to rest for 5 seconds only.*
- Place ladyfingers on the bottom of a 9 X 13-inch baking dish. Cover the entire bottom breaking ladyfingers as needed to cover the baking dish’s bottom completely.
- Spread ½ of the mascarpone mixture evenly over the ladyfingers in the baking dish. Add another layer of ladyfingers and then top with the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and place in a refrigerator for 2 hours but no more than 8 hours.
- Before serving, divide among individual serving bowls and garnish with chocolate shavings.
*If you allow the ladyfingers to soak longer than 5 seconds, they may become mushy and start to fall apart.